Today’s post is one I am very excited for. As, I think everyone knows by now, tonight is the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year Awards and we have one of our very own, Hollie Doyle, up for the big award, so it is only right we all come together to support her and push for her to win. It would be incredible to see Hollie win as well as being able to boost our sport and the females within a male dominated sport. So of course, today’s post is all about Hollie Doyle and what she has managed to achieve in her short career so far.
Disclaimer: The facts, figures and stats are all from different sources online and I have simply compiled them altogether into one post, I have tried to use multiple sources to ensure all facts are as accurate as possible. I apologise if anything is incorrect. Please feel free to tweet me anything that may be incorrect so I can change it. At the time of writing this post 20/12/2020 all of the figures are accurate according to my online sources used. So with that being said… Let’s jump right into it.
Hollie Doyle was born on October 11th 1996 to parents Mark and Caroline, who both played a part in horse racing, so it was always meant to be. Mark being a former jockey and Caroline who rode in Arab horse races. From a very young age, Hollie became a part of the Herefordshire Pony Club and rode her first pony race at the age of nine.
At the age of just 16 on May 5th 2013, Hollie had her first ride under rules in a lady amateurs race, winning on The Mongoose at Salisbury in the 5:20pm for David Evans. And it seems that from that day on, there was no looking back for Hollie. That same summer, she went on to sit her GCSE’s’ before joining David Evans’ yard in Wales. She also spent six weeks in California that winter.
In 2014, Hollie moved on as an apprentice jockey to Richard Hannon’s yard in Wiltshire. In August 2017 Hollie won her first listed race on Billesdon Bess in the Upavon Fillies’ Stakes at Salisbury, whilst still being an apprentice, before riding out her claim in November of that same year.
In 2019, Hollie set a new record for winners ridden in a British season by a female jockey, with an incredible 116 victories, passing the record of 106 which was set by Josephine Gordon in 2017.
On June 19th 2020 Hollie had her first ever win at Royal Ascot when she won on the 33/1 shot Scarlet Dragon in the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes for trainer Alan King. Shortly after, on July 9th 2020, Hollie rode her first Group race winner on Dame Malliot in the Princess of Wales’s Stakes at Newmarket for trainer Ed Vaughan. That same month, Hollie was named as a retained jockey for owner Imad Al Sagar, who she went on to win the Rose of Lancaster Stakes on Extra Elusive for only a month later, becoming Hollie’s second Group race win.
The season didn’t stop there, Hollie continued to break records and become a public figure very very quickly. On August 29th 2020 Hollie rode five winners in one day at Windsor, making her the first female jockey to ever win five races on the same card in Britain, another incredible achievement which threw Hollie into the spotlight once again. Not long after this, on October 14th 2020, Hollie rode her 117th winner of the season, breaking her own record from 2019. Only a few days later on October 17th Hollie became the first female jockey to ride a winner of Champions Day at Ascot winning on Trueshan at 11/1 in the Long Distance Cup for trainer Alan King, this was very shortly followed by Hollie’s first ever Group 1 when she won on the 16/1 shot Glen Shiel in the Champions Sprint for trainer Archie Watson.
In November 2020 Hollie was named The Sunday Times Sportwoman of the Year as well as finishing fourth in the Flat Jockey’s Championship which is the highest ever ranking for a woman.
Overall, a pretty incredible season for Hollie Doyle, who on December 1st 2020 was announced to be one of the nominees for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award – Which goes ahead TONIGHT starting at 8pm on BBC 1, all votes will be cast once the show starts so make sure you watch the show to find out how you can make your vote count!
Now we’ve summarised how incredible Hollie Doyle is, I feel like we should back it up with some facts and figures, so lets jump into those! Again, I do want to emphasise that these facts and figures are from a range of sources and I have tried my best to ensure they are all accurate and correct, if there are slight differences, please do message me privately so I can correct those!
Hollie Doyle has had 3302 starts in her career, winning 422 of those and placing in 745. So if we break it down, that means Hollie has won 12.78% of her races and placed in 22.56%. Meaning she has won or placed in 35.34% of her career rides.
I don’t think this will come as a surprise to many, but the majority of Hollie’s wins in her career have came for Archie Watson. She has had 550 rides for Archie Watson, winning 112 and placing in 140. Followed by Richard Hannon, who she has rode for 332 times, winning 37 times and placing 79 times.
Following on from that, Hollie’s best strike rate is actually best for John Gosden, who Hollie has rode for 8 times, winning 5 times and placing twice. Therefore her win strike rate working out to 62.5%, her placed strike rate to 25% meaning her over all win/place strike rate is 87.5% when riding for John Gosden, quite extraordinary figures.
In terms of prize money, Hollie has won the most prize money when riding for Archie Watson, (using Google’s current exchange rate so this may vary). She has won 2,623,776 AUD which is around £1,478,580.42. Swiftly followed by Richard Hannon, who she has won 804,783 AUD which is around £453,520.57. And thirdly, Alan King, who Hollie has won 712,445 AUD which is around £401,485.20. Overall, under rules, since 2013 Hollie has won 8,937,837 AUD which is around £5,036,752.69.
Onto Hollie’s favourite UK racecourse – statistic wise, she has had the most wins at Wolverhampton, riding 472 rimes with 66 wins and 105 places. Meaning Hollie has won 13.98% of her rides at this venue and placed 22.25% times meaning overall she has won/placed in 36.23% of the rides she has had at Wolverhampton. In second place is Lingfield AW where she has had 367 rides, winning 59 times and placing 91 times, meaning she has won 16.07% of her rides, placed 24.80% times with an overall win/place percentage of 40.87%. And finally in third place, Kempton Park AW, where Hollie has rode 414 times, winning 45 times and placing 77 times, meaning she has won 10.87% of her rides here, placed 18.60% times with an overall win/place percentage of 29.47%.
Something I found interesting and wanted to just add in was the horses Hollie has had the most wins on. In first place is Tigerfish who Hollie has rode 18 times, winning 6 of those times. Secondly is Maystar who Hollie rode 12 times, winning 5 of those times and placing 4 times. And thirdly is Harrison Point who Hollie rode 9 times, winning 4 times and placing twice.
I have tried to keep this post as neutral as I possibly can using statistics alone to show who Hollie Doyle is and how her facts and figures line up. However now I will give a little bit of my opinion and I would love to hear yours over on social media!
I think Hollie is a credit to our sport, this year especially she has brought a new audience to our sport, she has been the face of British racing as a female in a male dominated sport and she is living proof that if you want to do something, male or female, you can do it if you put in the hard work and dedication. As a female myself, I find it inspiring to see Hollie doing so well in a sport that for many many years has been dominated by men, she is showing young girls that it is still possible to succeed in a sport like horse racing and I think that is so important. I have met Hollie a few times, cold nights at one of my local tracks Wolverhampton and she has always got a smile on her face, always willing to stop and talk to anyone, sign things, take photos, nothing is ever too much trouble for her and I love that about her. I am the same age has Hollie, literally born 3 weeks after her, and I could never imagine riding horses to the level she does, I have nothing but admiration for her and I feel truly inspired by her in terms of following my dream and doing what I love. I think we have a future Champion Jockey on our hands and personally I cannot wait for the day that she is given that crown.
I would love nothing more than to see Hollie Doyle win the Sports Personality of the Year Award 2020 and I think she truly deserves it. I will be voting and getting behind her and I hope everyone else can too. As soon as a live link is available via BBC to vote online I will share this on my social media as well as adding it to this blog post so we can all get behind her and vote for her to win.
Again, I love these sort of posts where I can dig into someone’s story and facts and figures and I will be doing many many more in 2021. If I don’t post before, I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year, as much as possible in the current circumstances and I will see you all very very soon in my next post!