CRIME SERIES: Jeffrey Dahmer

CRIME SERIES_ Jeffrey Dahmer

Hey guys!

Today I am writing all about Jeffrey Dahmer and the horrific crimes he committed! I really hope you find this as interesting as I did.

Jeffrey Lionel Dahmer was born on May 21st 1960 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA to Joyce Annette and Lionel Herbert Dahmer, the first of two sons.

There are two stories as to what Dahmer’s upbringing was like. The first is that Dahmer was deprived of attention, his mother refused to breastfeed him as she thought it was exhausting and irritating, she was also greedy for attention and argumentative with her husband and their neighbours. Also, his mother tried to commit suicide from an overdose of pills she had become addicted to and his father was always away from home with his university studies, so consequently neither parent devoted much time to Dahmer. However the other story is that he was doted upon growing up by both his mother and father.

Dahmer has been described as being an ‘energetic and happy child’ until just before his fourth birthday when he became ‘notably subdued’ after undergoing a double hernia surgery. He always said that his early years of family life were full of ‘extreme tension’ between his parents and he observed them constantly arguing with each other. His peers in elementary school said he was quiet and timid and a teacher on his report card described him was a ‘reserved child’ she sensed he ‘felt neglected’. Although Dahmer was reserved he did have a small number of friends.

From a very young age, Dahmer took an interest in animals, his friends later recalled that he initially collected large insects, dragonflies and butterflies and he placed them inside jars. He later started to collect animal carcasses from the roadside, occasionally accompanied by one or more of his friends. He then dismembered the animals either at home or in woodland just behind their family home. His friends said that he dismembered the animals and then stored the parts in jars in the families tool shed, he always said he was curious as to how each animal ‘fitted together’. In one case, Dahmer decapitated the carcass of a dog before nailing the animals body to a tree, he then impaled the skull of the dog upon a stake beside a wooden cross in the woodland behind his house. It is thought that Dahmer’s obsession with dead animals started at the age of four when his father removed animal bones from beneath the family home. According to his dad Lionel Dahmer, his son was ‘oddly thrilled’ by the sounds the bones made and he instantly developed a fixation for playing with and collecting animal bones.

On December 18th 1966, Jeffrey’s younger brother was born, he was allowed to choose a name, he chose David for his younger brother. In 1968, the family relocated to Bath, Ohio. In 1970, over a family meal, Jeffrey asked Lionel what would happen if the bones of the chicken were to be placed in a bleach solution. At this stage, Lionel was concerned by his sons ‘placid and lethargic’ attitude and therefore he was delighted by, what he believed was his sons scientific curiosity. Due to this, he willingly demonstrated to his son how to safely bleach and preserve animal bones. This knowledge of cleansing and preserving bones was used by Dahmer on many of the animal remains that he continued to collect.

During high school, Dahmer was seen as an outcast by his peers, many of his classmates said that they were disturbed by the fact that he drank beer and hard alcohol which he smuggled into school inside the lining of his jacket and concealed in his locker. The drinking occurred before, during and after school. This was first noted when Dahmer was 14 years old. On one occasion, a classmate recalled Dahmer consuming a cup of gin and asked him why he was drinking liquor in class, to which Dahmer casually replied ‘it’s my medicine’. However, Dahmer was observed by staff to be a polite student who was known to be highly intelligent, although one former teacher did recall that Dahmer often had a Styrofoam cup on his desk in class and that he ‘reeked of scotch’ but nobody ever questioned him about it. Classmates remembered that Dahmer would stumble drunk through the local mall, pretending to have seizures in front of strangers. One classmate recalls ‘the performance was fun to watch but more than a little frightening, for we were always a bit wary of him. He was a big guy and we had a bad feeling that if he went off, you didn’t want to be in the way’. He was also known to draw chalk outlines of bodies on the floors in the hallways of his school.

Jeffrey 14 Years Old

Dahmer began to experience same-sex attractions when he reached puberty, this was not something he divulged to his parents. In his early teens, he engaged in a brief relationship with another male, although the pair never had intercourse. Dahmer later admitted that he began sexually fantasising ‘about dominating and controlling a completely submissive male partner’. These fantasies gradually became ‘intertwined with dissection’.

When Dahmer was 16 years old, Dahmer had the idea of raping a particular male jogger that he found attractive whilst he was unconscious. Dahmer concealed himself in bushes on the route he had noted the jogger took, he had a baseball bat in his hands, waiting for him to run by. However, luckily for him, the jogger did not run past on that day. Dahmer claimed he never attempted to implement that plan again, he said this was the first attempt to attack another individual.

In the summer of 1978, just three weeks after graduating, Dahmer, aged only 18 years old, would go on to murder his first victim. On June 18th Dahmer picked up hitchhiker Steven Hicks who was 18 years old. Dahmer lured him to his house saying they could have a drink together. Hicks who had been hitchhiking to a rock concert agreed. According to Dahmer, after a few hours of drinking and listening to music, Hicks ‘wanted to leave’ but Dahmer ‘didn’t want him to’ so he struck Hicks twice from behind with a dumbbell. When Hicks fell unconscious, Dahmer strangled him to death then stripped the clothes from his body before masturbating as he stood above the corpse. The next day, Dahmer dissected Hicks’ body in his crawl space, he later buried the remains in a shallow grave in his backyard. Several weeks later, he unearthed the remains and removed the flesh from the bones. He then dissolved the flesh in acid and flushed the solution down the toilet. He then crushed the bones with a sledgehammer and scattered them in the woodland behind his home.

Steven Hicks

In the August, Dahmer enrolled at Ohio State University, studying business. He stayed for one term where he spent most of his time drinking, he later dropped out after just three months.

In January 1979, Dahmer enlisted in the US Army where he trained as a medical specialist. According to published reports, in Dahmer’s first year of service he was an ‘average or slightly above average’ soldier. Two soldiers claimed to have been raped by Dahmer whilst in the army. One of whom stated in 2010 that whilst stationed in Germany, Dahmer had repeatedly raped him over a 17 month period whilst another soldier believes Dahmer drugged and raped him inside an armoured personnel carrier in 1979.

Dahmer continued to abuse alcohol and his performance deteriorated and in March 1981 he was deemed unsuitable for military service and was discharged from the Army. His superiors did not believe that he had any problems that would be applicable to civilian life, therefore he received an honourable discharge, then on March 24th 1981 he was sent to South Carolina for a debriefing and was given a plane ticket to travel anywhere in the country. Dahmer later said he felt as though he couldn’t return home to face his father so therefore he decided to travel to Miami Beach, Florida, later claiming he was ‘tired of the cold’. Dahmer spent the majority of his money on alcohol and was soon evicted from the motel where he was staying for not paying. He spent most evenings on the beach after working in a sandwich shop all day. He then phoned his father and asked to return to Ohio in the September of 1981.

On his return to Ohio, he initially lived with his father and stepmother and insisted in doing numerous chores around the house whilst he looked for work. However he continued to drink very heavily and only two weeks after returning he was arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct. After unsuccessfully trying to wean his son off Alcohol, in December 1981 Dahmer’s father sent him to live with his grandmother in Wisconsin, hoping her influence and change of scenery would inspire him to stop drinking alcohol, find a job and live life as an adult. At first, he accompanied his grandmother to church, did chores, actively looked for work and followed most of her house rules, however he still continued to drink and smoke heavily.

Early in 1982, Dahmer found a job as a phlebotomist, he held this job for 10 months before being laid off. Shortly before losing his job he was arrested for indecent exposure. On August 7th 1982 at a park he was observed to expose himself to a crowd of 25 women and children.

In January 1985, Dahmer found a new job working 11pm until 7am, shortly after finding this job he was propositioned by another man whilst in a library. The stranger threw him a note offering to perform fellatio upon him. According to him, he didn’t respond to the note, however the incident is said to have stirred fantasies in his mind of control and dominance that he had developed as a teenager. He then began to regularly visit gay bars, bookstores and gay bathhouses. He also stole a male mannequin from a store, which he used for sexual stimulation before his grandmother discovered it in his closet and demanded he got rid of it. This was the first major step which lead to the things that were to come. I feel as though the note from the stranger was a huge influence on Dahmer, I’m not saying without that he wouldn’t have gone on to do what he did, but that was a huge part, it brought back all of the fantasies he had previously had and set the ball rolling sort of thing.

By late 1985, Dahmer has became a regular visitor to the gay bathhouses which he later described as being ‘relaxing places’ but during his sexual encounters he was frustrated by his partners moving during the act. In a police interview he said ‘I trained myself to view people as objects of pleasure instead of as people’. Following this, starting in June 1986 he started giving sleeping pills to partners and giving them liquor laced with sedatives and then raping their unconscious bodies. This happened approximately 12 times before the bathhouse revoked his membership so he began to use hotel rooms to continue his act.

Dahmer said shortly after his membership was revoked, he read a newspaper report regarding an upcoming funeral of an 18 year old male, he came up with a plan of stealing the freshly buried corpse and taking it home. He said that he attempted to dig the coffin up but the soil was too hard so he abandoned the pan and went home.

In August 1986 Dahmer was arrested for masturbating in front of two 12 year old boys near the Kinnickinnic River. He initially admitted the offence so subsequently was charged with indecent exposure once again. However he quickly changed his story, claiming he had been urinating and was unaware that there were witnesses so the charges were changed to disorderly
conduct and on March 10
th 1987 he was sentenced to one year’s probation with additional instructions to undergo counselling.

On November 20th 1987 Dahmer encountered a 25 year old man called Steven Tuomi at a bar and persuaded him to return to the Ambassador Hotel where Dahmer had rented a room for the evening. According to Dahmer he ha no intention of murdering Steven Tuomi, he instead intended to drug and rape him as he lay unconscious. However the next morning, he woke up to fin Tuomi’s body lying beneath him on the bed, his chest was ‘crushed in’ and he was ‘black and blue’ with bruises. Dahmer also recalled that there was blood seeping from the corner of Tuomi’s mouth and his own fists and one forearm were extensively bruised. Dahmer said he had no memory of killing Tuomi and later informed investigators that he ‘could not believe this had happened’. To dispose of the body, he purchased a large suitcase and transported the body to his grandmothers house via a taxi. When he was putting the bag in the car, the driver asked him ‘what do you got in there, a body?’ To which Dahmer replied ‘Yeah I do.’ It is not known whether the driver took this as a joke or simply didn’t believe him or if any actions were taken at this point. Which I find very strange, this isn’t mentioned in many reports you read, very few reports have this incident recalled, which to me is quite a significant thing to have happened, his first admission. One week later, he severed the head, arms and legs from the torso and filleted the bones from the body before cutting the flesh into small pieces and placing them inside plastic bags. He wrapped the bones inside a sheet and hit them with a sledgehammer into splinters. This whole process took around two hours. He then put the remains in the bin, apart from the severed head. He kept the severed head for two weeks wrapped in a blanket. He then boiled the head in detergent and bleach in an effort to retain the skull, he then used this as stimulus for masturbation. Eventually, when the skull was rendered too brittle by the bleaching process, he pulverised and disposed of it. Within all of the murder charges brought to Dahmer, the murder of Steven Tuomi was not one of them as none of his remains or DNA were ever found.

Steven Tuomi

Following this murder, Dahmer started to actively seek victims, most of whom he had encountered in or close to gay bars and he lured back to his grandmother’s home. He then drugged them and engaged in sexual activity with them. Once the victim’s were unconscious with sleeping pills he killed them by strangulation.

Two months after murdering Steven Tuomi, Dahmer met 14 year old Native American male prostitute James Doxtator. He lured him to his home with an offer of $50 to pose for nude photos. Once home, the pair engaged in sexual activity before Dahmer drugged him and strangled him on the floor of the cellar. Dahmer left the body there for one week before dismembering it the same way he had Tuomi. He placed all of his remains, other than his head, in the bin. He boiled the skull and again retained it before pulverising it.

James Doxtator

On March 24th 1988, Dahmer met 22 year old Richard Guerrero outside a gay bar called The Phoenix. He lured him to his grandmother’s house on the incentive that he would pay $50 to spend the remainder of the night with him. He then drugged Guerrero with sleeping pills and strangled him with a leather strap. He then performed oral sex on the corpse. He dismembered the body within 24 hours of his murder and again disposed of his remains in the trash, again retaining the skull before being pulverised several months later.

Richard Guerrero

On April 23rd 1988, Dahmer lured another young man to his house, he gave the victim drugged coffee, however Dahmer’s grandmother called ‘Is that you Jeff?’ which, ultimately ended up saving his life. Although Dahmer replied in a manner that led her to believe he was alone, she knew that he wasn’t. Because of this, Dahmer opted to not kill this victim and instead waited until he had became unconscious before taking him to the hospital.

In September 1988, Dahmer’s grandmother asked him to move out of her house because she didn’t like him bringing young men to her house late at night ad there was a foul smell from the basement and the garage which she knew was down to him. Dahmer found a one bedroom apartment where he moved into on September 15th. On the following day, Dahmer was arrested for drugging and sexually fondling a 13 year old boy of whom he had lured back to his home on the pretext of posing nude for photographs.

In January 1989, Dahmer was convicted of second degree sexual assault and of enticing a child for immoral purposes. Sentencing was suspended until May 1989. In March, Dahmer moved back into his grandmother’s home.

Two months after his conviction and two months prior to his sentencing, whilst on ‘bail’ Dahmer murdered his fifth victim. Which I find so so strange. Why would someone who is being convicted of sexual assault free to roam the streets as normal for multiple months before being sentenced? Surely he should have been kept in prison until the sentencing was given? It is extremely upsetting to me that he continued his murder spree whilst the police and courts allowed him out after being convicted of such a serious crime. I believe the courts and police could have done so much more to stop him earlier.

His fifth victim was a 24 year old aspiring model Anthony Sears, who Dahmer met at a gay bar on March 25th 1989. According to Dahmer, he was not looking to commit a crime on this evening, however shortly before closing time that evening, Sears ‘just started talking to me’. Dahmer lured him to his grandmother’s house where they engaged in oral sex before Dahmer drugged and strangled him. The following morning, Dahmer placed his body in his grandmother’s bathtub where he decapitated him before he stripped the flesh from the body and pulverised the bones, where again he disposed of in the bin. According to Dahmer, he found Sears ‘exceptionally attractive’ and Sears was the first victim he permanently retained any body parts. He preserved his head and genitalia in acetone and store them in his work locker. When he moved to a new address he took the remains there.

Anthony Sears

On May 23rd 1989, Dahmer was sentenced to five years probation and one year in the ‘House of Correction’ with work release permitted in order for him to keep his job. He was also required to register as a sex offender. Two months before his scheduled release from the work camp, Dahmer was paroled from this regime. His five years probation began at this point. He temporarily moved back to his grandmother’s house before on May 14th 1990 he moved into his own apartment, taking Anthony Sear’ skull, scalp and painted genitals with him.

Within one week of moving into his new apartment, Dahmer killed his sixth victim. Raymond Smith was a 32 year old male prostitute whom Dahmer lured to his apartment with the promise of $50 for sex. At Dahmer’s apartment, he gave Smith a drink laced with seven sleeping pills and manually strangled him. The following day, Dahmer purchased a Polaroid camera which he took several pictures of Smith’s body in suggestive positions before dismembering him in the bathroom. He boiled the legs, arms and pelvis in a steel kettle which allowed hi to then rinse the bones in the sink. He dissolved the remainder of his skeleton, other than the skull, in a container he filled with acid. He spray painted his skull a placed it alongside the skull of Anthony Sears. It is also thought that he placed other bones from his body around his apartment as ornaments.

Raymond Smith

Around one week later, approximately May 27th, Dahmer lured another man to his apartment. However, on this occasion Dahmer accidentally consumed the drink with sedatives intended for his guest. When he woke up the following day, he discovered that the intended victim had stolen clothing, $300 and a watch. Dahmer never reported the incident to the police, however on May 29th he told his probation officer he had been robbed.

In June 1990, Dahmer lured a 27 year old acquaintance named Edward Smith to his apartment where he drugged and strangled him. This time, instead of immediately acidifying the skeleton or repeating the previous processes of bleaching, Dahmer placed Smith’s skeleton in his freezer for several months hoping it would not retain moisture. Freezing the skeleton didn’t remove moisture so he acidified the body several months later. Dahmer accidentally destroyed the skull when he placed it in the oven to dry which caused the skull to explode. Dahmer said to police that he felt ‘rotten’ about Smith’s murder as he had been unable to retain any parts of his body. Dahmer later said to police ‘it was my way of remembering their appearance, their physical beauty. I also wanted to keep… if I couldn’t keep them there with me whole, I at least could keep their skeletons’ about his motivations for photographing his victims and retaining sections of their skeletal structure.

Edward Smith

In September 1990, less than three months later, Dahmer met 22 year old Ernest Miller. Miller agreed to accompany Dahmer to his apartment for $50 to allow him to listen to his heart and stomach. When Dahmer attempted to perform oral sex on Miller, he was informed ‘it will cost you extra’. Dahmer intended to give him sleeping pills, however he ended up killing Miller by slashing his neck, he then bled to death within minutes. Dahmer then posed the nude body for various photographs before placing him in the bathtub for dismemberment. Dahmer repeatedly kissed and talked to the severed head while he dismembered the remainder of the body. He wrapped Miller’s heart, biceps and portions of his leg flesh in plastic bags in the fridge for later consumption. The severed head was initially placed in the refrigerator before also being stripped of flesh then he painted it and coated it with enamel.

Ernest Miller

On September 24th, three weeks later, Dahmer encountered David Thomas a 22 year old at a mall and persuaded him to return to his apartment for a few drinks with additional money on off if he would pose for photographs. When arrested, in his statement Dahmer stated that he did not feel attracted to him after giving him a drink with sedatives, but he was afraid if he woke up he would be angry over being drugged, so therefore he strangled him and dismembered him, retaining no body parts. However he did photograph the dismemberment process and retained these photographs which later helped identify David Thomas’ body.

David Thomas

Following the murder of David Thomas, Dahmer didn’t kill anyone for almost five months, although he claims on a minimum of five occasions between October 1990 and February 1991 he unsuccessfully attempted to lure men to his apartment. He also regularly complained of feeling both anxious and depressed to his probation officer during 1990 with frequent references to his sexuality, lifestyle and financial difficulties. He also referred to suicidal thoughts on several occasions.

In February 1991 Dahmer observed 17 year old Curtis Straughter standing at a bus stop near a university. According to Dahmer he lured him into his apartment offering him money for posing for nude photographs with the added incentive of sexual intercourse. Dahmer drugged and strangled him with a leather strap and then dismembered him, he retained his skull, hands and genitals and photographed each stage of the dismemberment process.

Curtis Straughter

On April 7th, less than two months later, Dahmer encountered 19 year old Errol Lindsey walking to get a key cut. Dahmer lured him to his apartment where he drugged him, drilled a hole in his skull and poured acid into it. According to Dahmer, he woke up after the experiment, which Dahmer though would induce a permanent, unresistant, submissive state, saying ‘I have a headache. What time is it?’ In response to this, Dahmer drugged him again then strangled him. He decapitated him and retained his skull then removed the flesh from his body placing the skin in a solution of cold water and salt for several weeks in the hope he could retain it, however Dahmer reluctantly disposed of it when he noted it had become too frayed and brittle.

Errol Lindsey

By 1991, residents in the apartment block in which Dahmer lived repeatedly complained to the manager Sopa Princewill of the foul smell coming from Dahmer’s apartment in addition to the sounds of falling objects and the occasional sound of a chainsaw. Princewill contacted Dahmer who said the odours were caused by his freezer breaking and the contents becoming ‘spoiled’, on other occasions he said the small was because several of his tropical fish had recently died and he would take care of the matter.

On May 24th 1991 Dahmer invited 31 year old Anthony Hughes to his apartment, he was a deaf mute, so Dahmer invited him with a written request asking him to pose nude. Once in the apartment, Dahmer drugged him and strangled him. He left the body lying around the apartment for a couple of days before dismembering him.

On May 26th 1991 Dahmer seen Konerak Sinthasomphone, he approached him with an offer of money to accompany him to his apartment to pose for Polaroid pictures. According to Dahmer Sinthasomphone – the younger brother of the boy whom he had molested in 1988 – was initially reluctant to the proposal before changing his mind and accompanying Dahmer to his apartment where the youth posed for two pictures in his underwear before Dahmer drugged him into unconsciousness and performed oral sex on him. Dahmer drilled a single hole into his skull and injected acid into him. Before Sinthasomphone fell unconscious Dahmer took him into his bedroom where the nude body of Anthony Hughes was laying on the floor. Dahmer later said he believed he saw the body but did not react due to the sleeping pills he had been given. Sinthasomphone soon became unconscious, Dahmer drank several beers before leaving his apartment to drink at a bar.

In the early hours of May 27th, Dahmer returned towards his apartment to discover Sinthasomphone sitting naked on the corner of the street talking with three distressed young women. Dahmer approached them and explained that Sinthasomphone was a friend and attempted to lead him to his apartment, however the three women dissuaded Dahmer explaining they had rang 911. Two officers named John Balcerzak and Joseph Gabrish arrived on the scene and here Dahmer informed them Sinthasomphone was his 19 year old boyfriend and he had drank too much after an argument and he regularly behaved this way when he was intoxicated. The three women tried to indicate to the officers that he was bleeding from his buttox and that he struggled against Dahmer’s attempt to walk him to his apartment to which the officers harshly informed them to ‘butt out’ and ‘shut the hell up’ an not to interfere as the incident was ‘domestic’.

Against the protests of the three women, the officers covered Sinthasomphone with a towel and walked him to Dahmer’s apartment. To verify his claim that they were lovers, Dahmer showed the officers semi-nude pictures he had taken the night before. The officers later reported that there was a strange scent of excrement inside the apartment, the odour was from the decomposing body of Hughes. Dahmer later said that one officer ‘peeked his head around the bedroom but didn’t really take a good look’ then they left, telling Dahmer to ‘take good care’ of Sinthasomphone. I find this so so upsetting. If the officers had firstly listened to the women and secondly looked properly in the bedroom this whole thing could have been stopped way before it eventually was. The officers were rude to the women and the women had been right the whole time, they seem very incompetent of actually looking and seeing properly what was really going on. They also did no background check on Dahmer, if they had it would have revealed he was a convicted child molester under probation and could have done something about it.

Once the officers had left, Dahmer again injected acid into Sinthasomphone’s brain, this occasion proved fatal. The following day May 28th, Dahmer took a day’s leave to dismember both bodies of Sinthasomphone and Hughes. He again, retained both skulls.

Konerak Sinthasomphone

On June 30th, Dahmer travelled to Chicago and he met 20 year old Matt Turner at a bus station. Turner accepted Dahmer’s offer to travel to Milwaukee for a professional photo shoot. Back at Dahmer’s apartment he drugged, strangled and dismembered Turner. He then placed his head and internal organs in plastic bags in the freezer.

Matt Turner

On July 5th Dahmer lured 23 year old Jeremiah Weinberger back to his apartment on the promise of spending the weekend with him. He drugged him and injected boiling water through his skull which sent him into a coma from which he died two days later.

Jeremiah Weinberger

On July 15th Dahmer met Oliver Lacy, he agreed to pose nude for photographs and accompanied Dahmer back to his apartment where they engaged in sexual activity before Dahmer drugged him. Dahmer intended to prolong the time he spent with Lacy whilst alive, so after he requested a day’s absence from his workplace. He later strangled Lacy and had sex with the corpse before dismembering him. He placed his head and heart in the refridgerator and his skeleton in the freezer.

Oliver Lacy

On July 19th Dahmer was told he was fired from his job, upon receipt of this news, Dahmer lured 25 year old Joseph Bradehoft to his apartment. He strangled him and left him lying on his bed covered with a sheet for two days. On July 21st Dahmer removed the sheets to find the head covered in maggots, he decapitate the body, cleaned the head and placed it in the refridgerator. He later acidified three victims from that month.

Joseph Bradhoft

On July 22nd 1991, Dahmer approached three men and offered them $100 to post for nude photographs, drink beer and keep him company at his apartment. One of them, 32 year old Tracy Edwards accepted. Upon entering the apartment, Edwards noted a foul smell and several boxes of hydrochloric acid on the floor, Dahmer claimed to use it for cleaning bricks. Dahmer placed a handcuff upon his wrist, but unsuccessfully attempted to cuff his wrists together, he then told Edwards to accompany him to the bedroom to pose for the nude photographs. Edwards noted that there were nude male posters on the way and The Exorcist videotape was playing. Dahmer then took out a knife and informed Edwards he intended to take nude pictures of him. To appease Dahmer, Edwards unbuttoned his shirt and said he would if he removed the handcuffs and put the knife away. Edwards observed Dahmer rocking back and forth watching the TV and chanting before turning his attention back to him. He placed his head on Edwards’ chest and listened to his heartbeat. With the knife pressed against him, he informed Edwards he intended to eat his heart. Edwards repeated that he was Dahmer’s friend and he wasn’t going to run away in an attempt to prevent Dahmer from attacking him, although he had decided he was going to either jump from a window or run through the unlocked door when he had the opportunity. Edwards asked if they could sit with a beer in the living room where there was air conditioning, to which Dahmer consented. Edwards waited until Dahmer had a lapse of concentration before requesting to use the bathroom, when he rose from the couch he noted Dahmer was not holding the handcuffs, so he punched him in the face knocking him off balance and ran out of the front door.

Tracy Edwards

At 11:30pm on July 22nd, Edwards flagged down two police officers. The officers noticed that Edwards had a handcuff attached to his wrist, Edwards explained that a ‘freak’ had put the handcuffs on him an asked if they could remove them. The officers’ keys failed to fit the handcuffs, so Edwards agreed to accompany the officers to the apartment where he had stated he had spent the last five hours before escaping. When they arrived at Dahmer’s apartment he invited them in and acknowledged he had indeed placed the handcuffs onto Edwards’ wrist, however he offered no explanation as to why. Edwards then told the officers that Dahmer had also threatened him with a knife and it had happened in the bedroom, Dahmer made no comment to this and told the officer, Rolf Mueller, that the key was on his bedside dresser in the bedroom. Dahmer attempted to pass Mueller to retrieve the key himself, however the second officer Robert Rauth informed him to ‘back off’.

In the bedroom Rolf Mueller noted that there was a large knife under the bed and in an open draw there were Polaroid pictures, many of which were of human bodies in various states of dismemberment. He also noted that the decor in the photos was the same a the apartment he was standing in. When Dahmer saw he was holding the Polaroids, he fought the officers in an attempt to resist arrest, however the officers quickly overpowered him, cuffed his hands behind his back and called a second car for backup. At this point Mueller opened the refrigerator to find the freshly severed head of a black male on the bottom shelf. As Dahmer lay pinned on the floor beneath Robert Rauth he turned his head towards the officers and said ‘for what I did I should be dead’.

In a more detailed search of the apartment conducted by the ‘Criminal Investigation Bureau’ they unearthed a lot of horrible things. A total of seven skulls – some painted, some bleached – were found in Dahmer’s bedroom and inside a closet. They also a collection of blood drippings in a tray at the bottom of the refrigerator plus two human hearts and a portion of arm muscle. In the freezer they found an entire torso plus a bag of human organs and flesh stuck to the ice at the bottom. Investigators also discovered two entire skeletons, a pair of severed hands, two severed and preserved penises, a mummified scalp and in a 57 gallon drum, three further dismembered torsos dissolving in the acid solution. A total of 74 Polaroid pictures detailing the dismemberment of Dahmer’s victims were found. The chief medical examiner later stated ‘it was more like dismantling someone’s museum than an actual crime scene’.

Jeffrey_Dahmer_1992 Mugshot

In the early hours of July 23rd 1991, Dahmer was questioned by Detective Patrick Kennedy as to the murders he had committed and the evidence that had been found in his apartment. Over the following two weeks, Kennedy and later Detective Patrick Murphy conducted numerous interviews with Dahmer, which combined totalled over 60 hours. Dahmer waived his right to have a lawyer present, adding he wished to confess all as he had ‘created this horror and it only makes sense I do everything to put an end to it’. He admitted to murdering 16 young men since 1987 with one further victim killed in Ohio in 1978. He also admitted to performing necrophilia with several of his victims’ bodies, including performing sexual acts with their bodies as he dismembered them in the bathtub. He also confessed to having consumed the hearts, livers, biceps and portions of thighs of several victims he had killed.

When describing the increase in his killing rate in the few months before his arrest he stated he had been ‘completely swept along’ with his compulsion to kill. When he was asked why he had preserved seven skulls an entire skeletons of two victims, he stated he had been in the process of constructing a private altar of victims’ skulls which he had intended to put on the black table in his living room where he had photographed many of the bodies of his victims. On November 18th 1991 in a police interview, when asked who the altar was dedicated to Dahmer gave a very in depth description of what he was going to design and said ‘myself, it was a place where I could feel at home’ and described it as a ‘place for meditation’. He also added ‘if this arrest had happened six months later, that’s what they would have found’.

On July 25th 1991, Dahmer was charged with four counts of murder. By August 22nd 1991 he was charged with a further 11 murders. On September 14th 1991, investigators uncovered hundreds of bone fragments in woodland behind the address Dahmer had confessed to killing his first victim. They formally identified two molar teeth and a vertebra with x-ray records of Steven Hicks. Three days later, Dahmer was charged with the murder of Steven Hicks.

Dahmer was not charged with the attempted murder of Tracy Edwards or the murder of Steven Tuomi. He was not charged with Tuomi’s murder as the District Attorney only brought charges where murder could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt and Dahmer had no memory of actually committing this crime and no physical evidence of the crime existed.

On January 13th 1992 Dahmer pleaded guilty but insane to 15 counts of murder.

The trial began on January 30th 1992. He was tried for 15 counts of murder before Judge Laurence Gram. By pleading guilty on January 13th to the charges, Dahmer had waived his rights to an initial trial to establish guilt. The issue debated in the trial were to determine whether he had suffered from either a mental or a personality disorder. The prosecution claimed that ‘any disorder did not deprive Dahmer of the ability to appreciate the criminality of his conduct or to deprive him of the ability to resist his impulses’. The defence argued that Dahmer ‘suffered from a mental disease and was driven by obsessions and impulses he was unable to control’.

Defence experts argued that Dahmer was insane due to his ‘necrophiliac drive’, the urge to have sexual encounters with corpses. The prosecution experts rejected this testifying that he was ‘without mental disease or defect’ at the time he committed the murders. They described Dahmer as a ‘calculating and cunning individual, able to differentiate between right and wrong, with the ability to control his actions’.

The trial lasted two weeks and on February 14th, both counsels delivered their closing statements to the jury. Each counsel was allowed to speak for two hours. Then just one day later, on February 15th the court reconvened to hear the verdict.

Dahmer was ruled to be sane and not suffering from a mental disorder at the time of each of the 15 murders for which he was tried. Dahmer was sentenced to life imprisonment plus ten years with a remaining 13 counts carrying a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment plus 70 years. The death penalty was not an option as in the State of Wisconsin the death penalty was abolished.

Three months later Dahmer was extradited to Ohio to be tried for the murder of Steven Hicks. In a court hearing lasting only 5 minutes, Dahmer pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a 16th term of life imprisonment on May 1st 1992.


For the first year of his sentence, Dahmer was placed in solitary confinement due to the concerns for his physical safety if he came into contact with other inmates.

Whilst in prison Dahmer became a ‘born again Christian’ and in May 1994 he was baptised in the prison whirlpool.

In July 1994 a fellow inmate Osvaldo Durruthy attempted to slash Dahmer’s throat with a razor embedded in a toothbrush as Dahmer returned to his cell. Dahmer suffered superficial wounds but was not serious hurt. According to Dahmer’s family, he was ready to die. He responded with comments to his mother expressing concerns for his well-being with comments such as ‘it doesn’t matter mom, I don’t care if something happens to me’.

On November 28th 1994 Dahmer left his cell to conduct his assigned work. He was accompanied by two fellow inmates Jesse Anderson and Christopher Scarver. The trio were left unsupervised in the showers of the prison gym for approximately 20 minutes and at approximately 8:10am Dahmer was discovered on the floor suffering from extreme head and facial wounds. He had been severely hit with a 20 inch metal bar. His head had also been repeatedly struck against the wall. Although he was still alive, he was rushed to a nearby hospital and was pronounced dead one hour later. Anderson also died two days later. Christopher Scarver admitted he had killed them both, he said Dahmer did not yell or make any noise when he was attacked. Scarver alleges that before murdering Dahmer he cornered him and presented him a newspaper article detailing Dahmer’s crimes and demanded that Dahmer answered whether it was true. He also said that he was revolted by Dahmer’s crimes and that he had openly been unrepentant for his crimes. He also stated that Dahmer was so disliked by his fellow inmates that he required a personal escort whenever he was out of his cell to prevent inmates attacking him and he believes the prison staff knew Scarver’s hatred for him so deliberately left them unsupervised so that he could kill him.

Jeffrey Dahmer’s dad has retired and is living with his second wife Shari, they have both refused to change their surname and have professed their love of Jeffrey despite his crimes. His younger brother David has changed his surname and lives in anonymity.

Overall I find this case so disturbing and upsetting. I think Jeffrey could have been caught a lot sooner if the police had done their job. I also find it very strange that his grandmother could smell something in her own home but never went to actually going on. To me if that was my house and my grandson was making it smell I would want to know what he was doing and go and look. I also find it very strange that the victims were so willing to just go with him, I feel like there was more to it than just him offering money or whatever. I think it was obvious from a very young age that Jeffrey wasn’t quite right, the fact that he was so interested in killing animals was a sign of that, I think his dad was oblivious even when he asked him to show him how to dispose of the chicken bones. I just think overall there were so many signs that something was wrong but nobody seemed to pick up on it. Also why were the people who were killed not reported as missing and police were not actively looking for them, surely someone would have reported them missing and the police could have linked them together? I think the fact that he was arrested and charged for a sexual assault but was still allowed to live life as normal and continue killing is also so disturbing and just wrong when it could have been stopped by keeping him in prison until his sentencing. I also find it disgusting how they tried to fight in court for a mental illness when clearly this was just a vile man with an obsession of killing and having sex with corpses. And the fact he kept parts of the bodies and wanted to create an altar in his home just freaks me out. Personally I think he was let off too easily, he wanted to die and by being killed in prison he was given that, I would have much preferred him to be alive and suffering knowing that is what he didn’t want.

What do you think? Let me know!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s